Travelling to new places is a new experience every time. It’s about discovering you, learning new things which make an impact on the rest of your life. Your travel memories remain forever and you have the urge to plan your next trip. Exploring a new place is always exciting and even challenging if you are totally unknown to the region. This post talks about ‘Chennai’ as a travel destination and makes you familiar with the city, lifestyle, services and picks up the best of places you can’t afford to miss out while you are in Chennai.
Popular as the ‘gateway’ to Southern India, Chennai is located along the coastline and is the 4th largest metropolitan city in India. Earlier known as ‘Madras’ this city has a long history and heritage to talk about. Today, it’s a cosmopolitan city and houses many industrial establishments nearby the city. The famous ‘Bharathanatyam’ dance form, which is popular across the globe, has originated from this place. The dance, art, music, festivals religions are very distinctive of the South India culture.
Top Spots to Visit in Chennai:
The best part about Chennai is the mix of traditional and urban hotspots it has to offer for the tourists. We bring you the top 15 places to visit, keeping the tourists in mind:
- Marina Beach
- Besant Nagar Beach
- Sri Parthasarathy Temple – Oldest Temple In Chen3
- Kapaleeshwarar Temple – Lord Shiva Temple
- Madras Museum – Collection Of Roman Antiquities
- Fort St. George – Heritage Building
- St. Thomas Cathedral Basilica Church – Major Pilgrimage Center
- San Thome Basilica – Among 23 Basilica in India
- Ripon Building – Neoclassical Style Of Architecture
- Arignar Anna Zoological Park – India’s Largest Zoo In Area
- Pondy Bazaar – Shopping
- Spencer Plaza – Shopping
- The Victory War Memorial – In Memory Of Soldiers
- GATSBY 2000- ITC Park Sheraton – Night Life
- Pasha-The Park – Night Life
How to Reach Chennai :
The international Terminal is known as ‘Anna’ Terminal, built on 1988. In 2012, the new Terminal T2 was constructed which caters to most of the major international cities across the world.
- Travel Club: Location – International Terminal, Airside, opposite Gates 11 to 14. Hours: open 24 hours. (£18.50- advance purchase of lounge access is mandatory).
- Port Lounge: Location – International Terminal, Airside, 2nd floor
- Travel Club: Location – New International Terminal Airside, 3rd floor VIP lounge level, opposite Gate 7. Hours: open 24 hours. (£18.50- advance purchase of lounge access is mandatory).
- Radisson Blu Hotel Chennai: (less than 1.5 miles from the airport). Airport shuttle is available free for certain room categories.
- Trident Chennai: (less than 2 miles from the airport). Free transportation is available on request through email.
- Quality Inn Airport: (12 minutes) shuttle is available upon request.
- Retiring Rooms: Check for signs with ‘Retiring Rooms’. You get affordable AC dormitory in the public area of the Terminal. It is equipped with bathrooms, showers and sleeping area. You must have proper documentation to avail this service.
- ATM: Available across the Terminal.
- Baby Care facilities: Yes
- Currency Exchange: Location: air side to departing and arriving passengers in both Domestic and International Terminals.
- Medical Services: Location – Apollo Hospitals First Aid Room, contact any airport staff member
- Luggage Wrapping: Location – International Departures, land side in the Check-in area
- Luggage storage and locker: Location – International Arrivals, land side (Rs 5 to Rs 20 per item)
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From the airport
- Local Trains: If you are travelling light, you can commute through the suburban train which links the airport with 2 major stations- Chennai Park and Egmore.
- Metro rail: Location – Across the taxi parking lot. Chennai metro currently offers service till Little Mount station, which is halfway to the city center. Different colors distinguish the service, and Blue line operates in this sector, however, you can change in between to Green line to go ahead.
- Prepaid Taxi: You can avail the ‘pre-paid’ taxi service from the transportation area. Contact the pre-paid taxi booth in the arrival hall to book your cab.
Chennai Central is the station from where you can catch an express/superfast or suburban trains. The station connects to a number of Indian cities including the capital, New Delhi.
MTC (Metropolitan Transport Corporation) operates public buses across Chennai. It has a fleet of around 4000 buses including AC and non AC buses. Recently mini-bus service has started which connects the International airport from various part of the city.
Best Season to visit Chennai:
The perfect time to visit the city is in the winter season which commences from November till February. Due to the cool temperatures, travelers enjoy the architectural beauty along with the numerous beaches of Chennai. The biggest festival of Chennai is Pongal is celebrated with much fun and excitement at the advent of spring season. The city also experiences the music festival with fanfare where the famous musicians perform the matchless Carnatic music. The summer season is too hot and humid, starting in between March to May and the temperatures can soar up to 42 degrees. It’s better to avoid this season.
Emergency Contact Number (Police, Hospital And Other Services) :
- Police – 100
- Apollo Ambulance – 1066
- Voluntary Health Service – 044 22541972
- Apollo Hospital Blood Bank – 044 28294870
- Tourism Office of Govt. of Tamil Nadu – 044 25368538
- Lions Blood Bank – 044 28415959
- St. Johns Ambulance Association – 044 28194630
- International Airport – 044 2256 0551
- Control Room (DGP Office) – 044 28447200
Foreign Exchange Spots
- Western Union Chennai
Location : T Nagar
Contact : 044 2433 3321
Website : https://www.primeforex.in/
- Dhoshi Forex
Location : Egmore
Contact : 044 2814 2204
Website : http://www.dhoshiforex.com/
- Maharaja Forex
Location : T Nagar
Contact : 098410 65982
Website : http://www.maharajaforex.com/
- Gem Money Changers Pvt Ltd
Location : T Nagar
Contact : 044 2435 1393
- Kubeera Forex Services Private Limited
Location : Sholinganallur
Contact : 044 2450 1454
Website : http://kalakshetraforex.com/